Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Hoyle 04/30/07

On Monday I took my longest Canoe trip so far, starting at the lake and eventually ending up on the highway crossing 28 miles down river. 8 hours of paddling, and I few times I thought I had taken a wrong turn. (There are a few different creeks down there) It started raining about half an hour out, and continued in shifts for about 4 hours. The wind was really, really powerful and inconvenient particularly in the first few hours. 100's of ducks, 3 close encounters with beavers, a few more beavers and otters, and what I beleive was a Whooping Crane, which are now an endangered species. The wingspan of the thing was atleast 6 feet. It followed m down the river for quite a ways. I remember it swooping down after being spooked quite near me, and I yelled out loud "Holy fuck".

It was a great trip but pretty long and tiring. Will do it again.

6:30 AM Sunrise shot


The only set of "rapids" on the whole river.


After a second river runs into it, the river turned very wide and nice.


8 hours and 30 miles later (Got a new canoe by the way)

No comments: