Friday, August 17, 2007

Moose Island August 15-16 2007

Went for a two day visit on Nighthawk lake on Wensday. We went over to use the sauna, clear brush, work on a set of stairs and a few other things. In a year or two time it's possible we may own the property, for the sum of $40,000 to $50,000 with a inboard boat. We'd have to sell our Citation, a 26' mammoth with bunks, stove, fridge and other things that I personally deem unnecessary.

It's a nice sect of land, 3 acres, a two story camp, three sheds, and a good bit of landscaping. What's special about the land is it's the only bit of property on the entire lake and tributaries where the owners actually own the property. All of the other dozens of cottages are renting from the government, and the land could be seized at any time. Plus there's no concern of being attacked by wild animals, no bears or moose (ironically) on the island.

But the first night there was a little bit of a conundrum, when I was gathering wood for the sauna up in the woods. I took a brutal blow to a log on a slope, and it glanced off and nailed me right in the foot. Cut cleanly through my sock, and went a good ways into the flesh. 4 hours later I was out of the hospital with stitches, and no sauna. Fuck! Went back today from 11 AM to 7 PM, and got the stair set and a good bit of brush cleared. I also acquired a Cold Steel Bolo machete, and an old, excellent bone handled knife.


Big Cedar. Lots of old, massive Cedars on the Island.


The set of stairs put in at the beach. The foot traffic was eroding the fine soil.




Always good to have a pack of cigarillos in the bush
(-Correction, never good to have tobacco at any time. I regret ever touching these.)


Cold Steel Bolo Machete, bone handled custom made knife


The implement: Wetterlings 19" Axe. Victim: My foot. Millimeters from a major ligament.


Exhibit A. The axe cut clean through the sock.


Unique tree

6 comments:

Joel Reynolds said...

Dude - crazy cut on your leg there! Careful next time!
Cool blog, too!

Joel

Rob said...

Holy crap man, that cut looks horrible... or should I say that peeled back skin looks horrible haha Damn.

My father makes knives, so I've seen alot of knives through him. I can't remember if he made bone-handle ones or not. I'll have to ask him the next time I talk to him.

sam said...

Ouch, just found your blog and this was the first thing I saw! How's the leg now?

OGTL said...

Hey Roth, there wasn't any peeled back skin! That's a clean slice that's opened up because of the elasticity of the skin there.

And I was sort of wrong about the knife, it's actually a antler point, which seems to make a nice handle.

Getting the stitches out on friday, cut seems to be healing fine indeed :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Twkw said...

Sorry about your leg! I had to make a comment about your cigarillos though. Do you smoke cigars or just their smaller brethren? Nothing beats sitting outside with a nice cigar and a crisp blowing breeze.

OGTL said...

Agreed, I love it.

I can't afford real cigars, but I do like a Captain Black, probably the best gas station cigar available.

Cheers!