Friday, May 29, 2009

Chris McCandless

Here is a collection of photos of and relating to Christopher J. McCandless. I found most of these on the web the last couple of years, and recently a number of previously unavailable pictures surfaced. Quite an interesting look into his past. The defining characteristic of the photos is the elation in his expression.. Even when he was facing death.

McCandless as a young child.




Family.


A young Chris hiking. Likely from the yearly trips with his father referenced in the book.





Grinning, teenage McCandless.


High school photo.





Eerie shot.





Chris circa 1990.





Chris with the Datsun.



Denali, AK & the Stampede Trail

Self portrait at Bus 142.


Satellite view of Bus 142.

A big game kill. Possibly a caribou, definitely not the moose referred to in the book and pictured below.











Teklanika River.







Aerial view of bus.











Stampede trail.


The thin, ragged mattress in which McCandless spent his last moments.


Last photo taken on Chris' camera. Disturbingly thin and weak, resigned to his fate but smiling as clear as ever.


The suitcase of emergency supplies left by McCandless' parents in the bus.


Memorial plaque installed by his parents in Bus 142.


Chris' mother, during their visit to the bus a year after his death.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is some interesting stuff...

Janet said...

I was deeply affected by the message in the movies. Thank you for the emotional photos. I found your site looking for help. I am also the mother of an estranged daughter. I appreciate anyone posting information for support of parents with estranged children.

Unknown said...

I was very deeply affected by this young man ... especially about the relationship between his parents .... they were the reason ....

Egelin said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures! I truly appreciate!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading Into The Wild. As expected,the book is different from the movie.
I feel haunted,frustrated and very sad.It was not easy for me to read it as I already had seen the movie. I kept wishing he would survive and return home to his family...tears..tears...

In many ways, I see myself in this young man( I like nature,Henry David Thoreau,Jack London,hiking-- who died in his prime and did not get a chance to reunite and make peace with his parents.
I feel his family's pain and anguish.
May Chris rest in everlasting PEACE.
I send his parents and sister love,light and healing.
Tessa

Aurelio Leite said...

eu sinto o mesmo qoue o crhiss sentia , gostaria muito de conhcer onde ele passou seus utimos dias, porem minha vida finaceira no momento não permite, sou Brsileiro. e passagem até o alaska é muito caro mas se alguem quiser me ajudar a chegar até o alaska ficarei eternamente grato. estou no FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/AurelioRJ

Aurelio Leite said...

se alguem puder e quizer me ajudar a chegar até o alaska ficarei muito grato estou no facebook. www.facebook.com/AurelioRJ