Thursday, February 28, 2008

Winter Shelter Site February 28, 2008

Since I haven't really done much in terms of survival this winter (It's too cold!) I decided I wanted to build a new winter shelter. I had the site in mind before I even left, and after a short trip on the snow machine I arrived there. It's on a rocky outcrop that is much higher than the surrounding forest. The actual shelter site is shielded from the wind by the trees as well as it being situated in a concave. The surrounding snow is close to four feet deep.

I want to try and model the shelter after the lean-to Les Stroud built in the first episode of Survivorman. The shelter was pretty large and had an opening for a fire:





Mine would be a bit larger, and covered with a layer of spruce boughs and then 1' of snow. I originally wanted to build a tipi but I think I'll go with a lean-to.

Here are a few pictures of the area. The dead silence was a bit spooky.










Rabbit tracks.






No comments: