Friday, February 22, 2008

Snowshoeing February 18 2008

I decided to take my snowshoes out with my Polaris for a walk down the river. It had snowed 10" the night before, and was still coming down moderately. Breaking a trail was hard going even with the shoes, as i was sinking a half foot or so every step. The way back was considerably easier.

I almost fell through the ice a couple of times. I attempted to cross the river like an idiot in a narrow section, but thankfully the telltale creaking of the soft ice told me to go back. Even on an overcast day like this the light reflecting off the snow like a mirror into your eyes is inconvenient. The pictures suffered as well from the cloud cover but still turned out OK.

I don't really like this section of the river. It's too open to the wind. The same section gave me the most trouble when i canoed the entire river last spring. The wind was gusting directly into the bow and it took a lot of power to get past into the more intimate stretches down stream. I think I'll make my next trip start out a little farther down. Maybe tomorrow?

I can't beleive i'll be canoeing this in a little over a month. I'm sick of school sucking all of my energy and controlling my life.

Click Image to Enlarge

Sketchy river crossing


I left the machine beside this not often used trail.


Snow was falling lightly




I fell over trying to turn around. I think i need more experience.



No comments: